There are many different types of sheltered housing, both to rent or to buy. They range from luxury apartments and cottages to self-contained flats, bedsits and rooms with shared facilities.They are designed mainly for older people, which you can buy or rent. It can also be called retirement housing.
While different schemes vary, most will provide:
• Self-contained flats with their own kitchen and bathroom
• A laundry
• A communal lounge
• Optional social activities
• Communal gardens
• A guest room for overnight visitors
• Security and safety features
• 24-hour emergency assistance through an alarm scheme.
Sheltered housing might appeal to you if you want to live independently, perhaps in a smaller and easier-to-manage home, and like the idea of having someone to call on if there is an emergency.