Highveld Gardens Nursing Home Johannesburg was established in 1985 and has since operated as a family care facility. The owners, John and Shona Le Roux are assisted by their son, Daniel. This dedicated team leads a compliment of competent staff, that consists of 2 nursing sisters, Margaret and Yvonne, 3 staff nurses, 2 auxiliary nurses, 32 care givers and the general manager, Monica.
Handpicked for their unique abilities, these passionate individuals fulfill the needs of the residents by providing professional nursing care. All residents are cared for with dignity and respect regardless of their affiliation, race, age, gender and health status. Our aim is to make all residents feel at home, in an environment in which their independence is valued. We are also pet-friendly.
Highveld Gardens Nursing Home Johannesburg is an oasis, situated between Johannesburg and Pretoria, in the suburb of Halfway Gardens. It’s near Waterfall, Mall of Africa as well as hospitals, and is within easy access for family members visiting from either metropole.
What to expect at Highveld Gardens Nursing Home Johannesburg
There are 39 rooms with ensuite bathrooms, each with access to the beautifully manicured gardens. There are also 19 cottages with kitchenettes and ensuite bathrooms… And, there are 12 beds in the shared frail care, and 6 single rooms in frail care.
All our accommodation includes some level of care (frail, mid or general care, depending on each resident’s needs). We provide 24-hour nursing care and all the units and rooms have allocated caregivers, who diligently assist residents. Every room has a panic button as well as a telephone to make communication easier for our residents.
We serve three nutritious meals per day in the communal dining room. These are planned by professional dietitians and prepared by our in-house cooks. We serve tea and coffee at 10am, with scones or cake, as well as afternoon beverages at 3pm. Room service is available at the discretion of our nursing sisters.
Cleaning and laundry services are also included, as well as other nursing services. The doctor visits once a week, a physiotherapist is available on request, and a social worker is available for individual chats.
Entertainment and enjoyable activities are provided on a daily basis. These include: Mondays – Bible study, Tuesdays – a hair dresser and occupational therapists are available, Wednesdays: group discussions with the social worker and bingo, Thursdays: we provide transport to the shops, Fridays: exercise classes and every second Friday is movie day. And, the different denominations have church services on Sundays.
There is 24-hour security on the premises and the owners stay on the property – ensuring the highest level of care for all residents.
This is not an old age home, it’s a retirement lodge nursing home that treats residents with utmost dignity and respect. Visit us at Highveld Gardens Retirement Nursing Home Johannesburg to see how we value our residents.
- Highveld Gardens implemented full lock down two weeks before the national lockdown start.
- The staff have been living on the premises for over four months. This decision was taken as it decreases the risk of the virus spreading due to the movement of employees.
- All new residents undergo a two-week quarantine, in their own unit. They are monitored for symptoms three times per day, and after two weeks, they are allowed to leave their units.
- Employees have the correct safety equipment (which includes gloves; masks – high quality shield masks); and 70% alcohol sanitizer is also available.
- A new staff roster will come into play at the end of June. The staff will work shifts three months on and three months off. Two weeks before the new shift begins, the staff will enter the quarantine centre where they will be monitored by our nurses, to ensure they have not contracted Covid. After quarantine, and if they are declared virus-free, they will begin their shift.
- Families of our residents are not permitted on the premises at the moment as this could be a risk for our staff and residents. They can drop items off with the security guard at the entrance – to be passed on to the intended resident. This will hopefully change soon, depending on the rate at which the virus spreads.
- While putting all these precautions in place, our main aim is still for our residents to be as comfortable as possible. They are encouraged to interact with each other and walk around the beautiful gardens and facility. We are confident this plan is working well, and will continue to work. The proof lies in the fact that we have not had any infections – and that’s how we plan to keep it.
Retirement VillagesOffering Cottages Offering Rentals With Midcare / Frail Care With Visits by a Nursing Sister
Old Age HomesOffering Hospice Care Offering Short Term / Holiday Care With Dementia / Alzheimer’s care With Frail Care With Midcare / Assisted Living
Frail Care CentresSpecialised Dementia Care With Dementia - Alzheimer’s care
Yes , community hall with WIFI access,DSTV and library
Hairdressing once a week every tuesday
YES, we are one of the only homes which allow pets
On Thursdays all residents are taken to the shops
All 3 meals included daily
24 hour security
Fully qualified and well experienced medical doctor available once a week
Two qualified nursing sisters , 3 staff nurses 7 days a week
All laundry is included within the rental amount
Exercise classes provided once a week for residents
Library in the community hall area