Highveld Gardens Retirement Lodge Midrand was established in 1985 and has been in operation as a family care facility ever since. The current owners are John and Shona Le Roux, assisted by their son, Daniel, and a team of competent staff, consisting of 2 nursing sisters, Margaret and Yvonne, 3 staff nurses, 2 auxiliary nurses, 32 care givers and a general manager, Monica. All our staff are handpicked to fulfil the needs of our residents, and to provide the best possible nursing care – no matter what the age, affiliation, race, gender or health status of each individual resident. At Highveld Gardens we strive to let every resident feel at home and value their independence. That’s why we are a pet friendly facility.
Highveld Gardens Retirement Lodge Midrand is an oasis situated between Pretoria and Johannesburg, in the suburb Halfway Gardens. We are close to Waterfall, Mall of Africa and Hospitals, shops and within easy access for family members travelling from either metropole.
What to expect at Highveld Gardens Retirement Lodge Midrand
Highveld Gardens consists of the following accommodation: 39 rooms with ensuite bathrooms – all with access to our beautiful gardens, 19 cottages with kitchenettes and ensuite bathrooms, 12 beds in our shared frail care, and 6 single rooms in frail care. All our accommodation includes care (frail, mid or general care, depending on needs of each resident).
We provide 24-hour nursing care. All units and rooms have allocated caregivers who assist our residents. Each room has a panic button and telephone to make communication easier on our residents.
We provide 3 meals per day, prepared by our in-house cooks, of the highest nutrition and planned by dietitians, in the communal dining room. Teas and coffees are provided at 10am with cake or scones, and afternoon beverages are served at 3pm. Room service is available at the discretion of the nursing sisters.
Laundry and cleaning services are included, along with all other nursing services. The doctor visits once a week, a physiotherapist is available on request, as is a social worker for individual chats.
Activities and entertainment are provided on a daily basis: Bible study takes place on Mondays, a hair dresser is available on Tuesdays, occupational therapy on Tuesday afternoons, group discussions with our social worker on Wednesdays, bingo on Wednesday afternoons, we provide transport to the shops on Thursdays, exercise classes on Fridays, and every second Friday is movie day, and the different denominations have church services on Sundays.
We have 24-hour security, and the owners stay on the property which ensures hands-on care for our residents. We are not an old age home – we are a retirement lodge that treats residents with utmost respect and dignity.
We welcome you to visit us Highveld Gardens Retirement Lodge Midrand and see how we value our residents.
- Highveld Gardens was in full lock down two weeks before the actual start of the national lockdown.
- All staff have been living on the premises for the last four months as this decreases the risk of the virus being spread by employees coming and going.
- New residents undergo a two-week quarantine in their unit, and they are monitored for symptoms 3 times per day. After two weeks, new residents are allowed to leave their units.
- All staff have the correct safety equipment (including gloves; masks (high quality shield masks); and 70% alcohol sanitizer is available.
- A new staff roster will kick in from the end of June – the staff will work shifts of 3 months on and 3 months off. Two weeks before the new shift begin, they will enter the quarantine centre we created where they will be monitored by our nurses to ensure they have not contracted the virus. After the quarantine period, and they are declared virus-free, they will start the new three-month shift cycle.
- Residents’ families are currently not permitted on the premises as this could be a risk for our staff and residents. They can drop things off with the security at the entrance – which will be passed on to the resident. This will hopefully change, depending on the spread of the virus.
- While doing all this, our main focus is still to allow our residents to be as comfortable as possible. They can interact and walk around the beautiful gardens and the rest of the facility. We feel confident that this plan is working well and will continue to work – the proof lies in the fact that we have not had any infections – and we plan to keep it that way.
Retirement VillagesOffering Apartments / Flats Offering Cottages Offering Rentals With Midcare / Frail Care With Visits by a Nursing Sister Pet Friendly
Old Age HomesOffering Hospice Care Offering Short Term / Holiday Care With Dementia / Alzheimer’s care With Frail Care With Midcare / Assisted Living
Frail Care CentresSpecialised Dementia Care With Dementia - Alzheimer’s care
Yes , community hall with WIFI access,DSTV and library
Hairdressing once a week every tuesday
YES, we are one of the only homes which allow pets
On Thursdays all residents are taken to the shops
All 3 meals included daily
24 hour security
Fully qualified and well experienced medical doctor available once a week
Two qualified nursing sisters , 3 staff nurses 7 days a week
All laundry is included within the rental amount
Exercise classes provided once a week for residents
Library in the community hall area