Highveld Gardens Retirement Lodge was established in 1985. It’s been in operation as a family care facility ever since. Current owners, John and Shona Le Roux, are assisted by their son, Daniel. Together they lead a team of competent staff, which consists of two nursing sisters, Margaret and Yvonne, three staff nurses, two auxiliary nurses, 32 care givers and general manager, Monica.
We handpick our staff for their unique abilities to fulfill the needs of our residents and provide professional nursing care… regardless of the age, race, affiliation, gender or health status of each resident. We strive to make every resident feel at home, including being pet-friendly, and we value their independence.
Highveld Gardens Retirement Lodge is an oasis, situated between Pretoria and Johannesburg, in the suburb Halfway Gardens. Close to Waterfall, Mall of Africa and Hospitals, shops and we’re within easy access for family members travelling from either metropole.
What to expect at Highveld Gardens Retirement Lodge
Accommodation: 39 rooms with ensuite bathrooms. All have access to our manicured gardens. 19 cottages with kitchenettes and ensuite bathrooms. 12 beds in our shared frail care. 6 single rooms in frail care.
All our accommodation includes care (frail, mid or general care, depending on needs of each resident). We provide 24-hour nursing care and all units and rooms have allocated caregivers who assist residents. Each of the rooms has a panic button and telephone to make communication easier for our residents.
We provide three meals per day in the communal dining room, which are planned by dietitians, prepared by our in-house cooks and are of the highest nutrition. Tea and coffee is provided at 10am with scones or cake, and afternoon beverages are served at 3pm. Room service is available at the discretion of the nursing sisters.
Laundry and cleaning services are also included, as well as all other nursing services. The doctor visits once a week, the physiotherapist is available on request, as is the social worker for individual chats.
Activities and entertainment are provided on a daily basis. These include Bible study on Mondays, a hair dresser is available on Tuesdays, occupational therapy also on Tuesday in the afternoon, group discussions with the social worker on Wednesdays, bingo also on Wednesday in the afternoon, we provide transport to the shops on Thursdays, exercise classes on Fridays, and every second Friday is movie day. The different denominations have church services on Sundays.
There is 24-hour security, and the owners stay on the property – ensuring hands-on care for all our residents.
We are not an old age home… we are a retirement lodge that treats residents with utmost dignity and respect. Visit us at Highveld Gardens Retirement Lodge and see how we value our residents.
- We have been on full lock down 2 weeks before the start of the national lockdown in the country
- All our staff have been staying on the facility for the last 4 months as it decreases the risk within our facility of the virus being spread by employees going home and to work daily
- We are still accepting new residents, any new residents will undergo a 2 week quarantine in there unit, and their symptoms will be monitored 3 times a day, then after 2 weeks resident will be allowed to leave the unit.
- All our staff and employees have the correct safety equipment (gloves; masks (high quality shield mask); 70% alcohol sanitizer
- New staff roster will be implemented from end of June resulting in the staff working shifts where they work 3 months in and 3 months out, 2 weeks before new shift they will enter our quarantine centre that we have created where they will be monitored by our nurses to ensure they haven’t contained the virus, after quarantine is done and they are declared virus free they will start the new 3 month shift, and this cycle will continue until further notice.
- Resident’s families are currently not allowed in the facility as this could be a risk for our staff and residents, but are allowed to drop things off at the entrance where security can hand it into the office to be collected by the resident, this is hopefully to change depending on the spread of the virus
- In doing this our main focus is to still make our residents as comfortable as possible, allowing them to still interact and walk around our beautiful gardens and make use our facilities we have, we feel confident that this plan implemented is working and will continue to work as we have not had any infections within our facility and plan to keep it that way.
Retirement VillagesOffering Cottages Offering Rentals With Midcare / Frail Care With Visits by a Nursing Sister Pet Friendly
Old Age HomesOffering Hospice Care Offering Short Term / Holiday Care With Dementia / Alzheimer’s care With Frail Care With Midcare / Assisted Living
Frail Care CentresSpecialised Dementia Care With Dementia - Alzheimer’s care
Yes , community hall with WIFI access,DSTV and library
Hairdressing once a week every tuesday
YES, we are one of the only homes which allow pets
On Thursdays all residents are taken to the shops
All 3 meals included daily
24 hour security
Fully qualified and well experienced medical doctor available once a week
Two qualified nursing sisters , 3 staff nurses 7 days a week
All laundry is included within the rental amount
Exercise classes provided once a week for residents
Library in the community hall area